By Rickey Miller
If there’s one thing Tigers know how to do, it’s how to have a good time. LSU has always held the reputation of being one of the top party schools in the South. From casual house parties to game day tailgating – it’s seems that no matter which day of the week or cause, students are always ready to join in on the fun. One of the benefits of living near campus is all the fun and excitement in the nightlife scene. Near campus are some of the best bars you’ll ever experience; here are just a few:
Best Bars Near Campus
- Fred’s –With weekly deals like Friday Night Open Bar, the bar seems to draw a large college crowd anytime its doors are open. The bar is also a prime location for football season. During the home games Fred’s prepares food for their guest and has one of the biggest tent parties in near campus, where you can hear your favorite band.
- Reggie’s – One of the biggest Monday night parties in Tigerlands happens every week at Reggie’s. Monday “T-shirt Night” is one of the best deals you’ll find at any bar in Baton Rouge. Deals include .50-cent shots and $3 pitchers. Reggie’s also has one of the best “Ladies Night” – each and every Thursday with FREE COVER for all ladies until 12.
- JL’s – Nobody has the deals like JL’s in Tigerland. This college bar is known for one of the best Tuesday deals around – “Tuesday Wine Night.” Enjoy free drinks from 8 -10 p.m. – $5 beer pitchers – $1 wine – and $3 Bud. Another perk of heading out to JL’s is their awesome music selection. JL’s plays all the best current chart toppers and throwback hits. If you’re looking to have a good time and find great deals, head to JL’s!
- The House – The only bar in Tigerland with Friday “Ladies Night”! All ladies can enjoy FREE DRINKS and FREE COVER from 8 – 10. WHOA, it doesn’t get much better than Free! And they definitely didn’t forget about the guys… enjoy $4 doubles for all guys! The House has great music and is where you want to be this weekend. It is also a great location for game day!
FACEBOOK The House
- Mike’s – The only bar in Tigerland with “Daiquiri Night.” Each Monday you can enjoy $1 shots, $1 giant draft, $3 daiquiris, and free cover! Check out their twitter page to see all the other daily specials.
- Bogie’s – With 5 days of amazing drink specials, Bogie’s Bar is definitely the bar to go to almost any night of the week. Tuesday deals include Penny Pitchers until 10 p.m. – Wednesday deals, Free drinks until 10 – Thursday deals, Free drinks for ladies until 10—Friday is $1 domestics and $2 wells until 10 – and Saturday is open bar til 10 with a $10 cover.
- The Bandit – Recently open, the new bar has made its mark in the Baton Rouge nightlife scene. The bar is located just off campus and always has the best deals around. The bar also is one of the only bars around that gives back. Each and every Monday The Bandit gives back by donating all door proceeds and a portion of sales to a designated charity.
- The State Bar & Grub – Cocktails and grilled cheese! Yep, that’s right… this bar is one of the only bar serving up delicious cheese grills while giving you affordable, yummy cocktails. And what’s better is the bar is located seconds away from campus! It’s the perfect place to enjoy any night of the week.
FACEBOOK-The State Bar
- Mellow Mushroom – Mellow Mushroom is where you want to be on a Wednesday night! You can enjoy trivia night, open bar, and karaoke all in one night! Oh, and did we mention – Mellow Mushroom has some of the best pizza you’ll ever try!
- Barcadia – “ Drink. Play” – that’s the motto at Barcadia and that’s exactly why it’s one of the hotspots on our list. The bar is a popular destination during game days, being walking distance from the stadium. Also, the bar occasionally has live bands throughout the week and especially on game days. The deals, the food, and the music makes this place a must any day of the week!
Best Bars For Music
- Varsity Theatre – From game day fun and drink specials to amazing music concerts, Varsity Theatre is the ultimate music hotspot! Some of the biggest names in music perform daily on the stage at the venue, located just off campus. It is also a popular spot on game days – both LSU and Saints – and they have all the drink deals you can imagine! Visit their website to see all the upcoming concerts!
- Spanish Moon– Spanish Moon is definitely one of Baton Rouge’s music hotspots! The bar – located just minutes away from LSU campus, is a popular destination for those who enjoy live bands and love to dance. Each week Spanish Moon has a line-up of special events that are sure to be a good time for all. Spanish Moon has also recently brought back their very popular “80’s Night.” This is a spot you definitely have to check out.
- Texas Club – One of the biggest venues around, Texas Club is the place you want to be for good music and a good time. Texas Club has some of the biggest musical talents hitting their stage each week and also has some of the best daily drink deals around! Check out their website to see their event calendar!
- Chelsea’s Cafe – If you are looking for good atmosphere, good food, and good music – Chelsea’s is the place you want to be. With a focus on local artists, Chelsea’s has some of the best live performances you will ever experience. And we can’t forget to mention their amazing food. The food at Chelsea’s is yummy, affordable, and will keep you wanting more!
- Lava Cantina – It’s all about the Rock-N-Roll and the good Creole-Mexican food at Lava Cantina. Each week Lava Cantina has a big selection of artist hitting their stage that will have you on your feet dancing all night! Check out their website to see a full list of their events.
Best Bars Downtown
- Huey’s – This downtown hotspot is the place you want to go if you’re ready to dance and have a good time. Huey’s has some of the best drink deals you can find downtown; especially on Thursday – “Ladies Night.” Enjoy $3 martinis and karaoke from 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. Oh yea, and free shots for karaoke performers!
City Bar – When you’re looking for the best music and a great time, City Bar is where you want to be. The bar draws mostly a college and young professional crowd. One unique feature of City Bar is its 2 levels. The bottom level serves as more of a laid-back bar where you and your friends can grab a drink, play pool, sit around and talk, or dance to the latest beats. The second level of City Bar is where you can find a huge dance floor packed with all your friends, classmates, and co-workers whipping and nae nae’ing. Both levels have a full bar.
- Roux House – Roux House is the place to be any night of the week. With daily drink specials, Roux House is a must-go-to place when visiting downtown. The bar often has live bands performing and even has an outdoor patio to enjoy your favorite drinks while chatting with your friends.
- Happy’s Irish Pub- It’s always a party at Happy’s! Grab your friends and head to the bar where you can find awesome drink deals and specials. The bar has a very large outdoor area where you can listen to your favorite bands and dance the night away!
- Boudreaux & Thibodeaux’s – If you’ve ever been downtown, you’ll probably noticed Boudreaux & Thibodeaux’s. The bar always has the best music and the best people. Enjoy the downstairs where you can hear your favorite band or go upstairs to the balcony where you can see all the people on the street while listening to some of the best chart toppers. Check out upcoming bands and events on their website.
Best Bars For Young Professional & Graduates
- Ivar’s – Located on Perkins, Ivar’s is the spot for the young professionals. Laid-back with plenty of room to mingle, the bar is the perfect spot for any night of the week. The bar is also an ideal place to watch the game with all your friends. Oh yea, and check out their yummy food selection.
- Duvic’s – Like a laid-back atmosphere that you can simply sit back and enjoy a few drinks? Well, this is the place for you! Duvic’s Martini Bar and Restaurant has wide selection of martinis for you to choose from and some of the best food around. They have awesome daily specials such as Wednesday Happy Hour from 6 p.m. – 2 a.m. where you can enjoy $5 specialty martinis.
- Zee Zee Gardens – When you’re looking for personal time with your friends, try this cute little spot. Located on Perkins, this spot is a hidden gem where you can enjoy a drink or a bite. The bar has that local-neighborhood atmosphere that will make you feel right at home!
FACEBOOK – Zee Zee Gardens
- Pelican House – The cool, upscale bar has the deals for you! From 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday, Pelican house has Happy Hour where every drink is 25% off. Another great deal is their Thursday deal “Ladies Night” – where you can enjoy $5 martinis and glasses of wine, 1/2 priced bottles, and all non-domestic bottles 1/2 price also!
- Cove – The Cove is the spot for those who enjoy a laid-back atmosphere with a very big selection of liquors. One of the only places in Baton Rouge with such a big selection of top shelf alcohols. Try some of their signature cocktail drinks and ask check out their Facebook page for specials.
Facebook – The Cove Bar
- Radio Bar – The hip neighborhood bar allows guests to choose their own music using an iPhone app. Radio Bar also has amazing drink specials. With unique craft cocktails and $2 PBR Pints the bar is the perfect place for those looking to spend little while having a lot of fun. The bar also includes a large outdoor area where guest can participate in darts and ping-pong.
Facebook – The Radio Bar
- Olive or Twist – Located on Perkins, this hotspot is a prime destination for those who enjoy the more laidback approach to their nightlife. With soothing music and low lighting, the bars atmosphere is one where you can enjoy a few drinks with your friends without being crowded or having to shout in order to have a conversation. Olive or Twist has many deals that you can check out on their website.
Best Bars For A Laidback Experience
- The Bulldog – It’s hard to find things to do on Wednesday nights and that’s exactly why you should head to Bulldog. Each and every Wednesday is “Pint Night.” Enjoy great music and $5 pints of select draft beers. The bar also has many other specials and daily events you should check out!
- Bald Eagle Pub – Located downtown, this pub is one of the more laidback bars around. Enjoy top shelf drinks and a wide selection of beers. It is the perfect place for a quiet night with your friends.
Facebook – Bald Eagle Pub
- Icehouse Bar and Grill – Ideal for your next game day! This “Tailgating Headquarters” usually have great game day specials that are sure to blow your mind. Also Icehouse has great Thursday specials like “Ladies Night” where you can receive 1/2 all martinis and 25% off wine!
- Uncle Earl’s – Just minutes from campus, Uncle Earl’s definitely has its best deal on Thursdays! Try their $2 burgers and fries while enjoying open bar for only $5! Earl’s also has a large outdoor sitting area with plenty of space, so bring all your friends to catch this great deal!
- Bottle and Tap– Enjoy regional craft beers at great deals! Bottle and Tap is the perfect place for beer lovers! With a very big selection of local brewed beers and also a rotating selection of over 50 bottled beers from around the world – Bottle and Tap is the perfect place to sit, drink, and chill with your friends!