East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said Tuesday that the curfew put in effect last week is now suspended, The Advocate reports.
“This was the worst natural disaster this parish has ever endured. I knew this curfew would affect everyone in the parish, but my primary focus was the thousands of our family, friends and neighbors who have lost all or most of what they own,” Gautreaux said in a statement, according to The Advocate. “There are thousands that have lost homes, vehicles, personal items that can never be replaced, jobs and any means of earning a living at this point.
“The curfew allowed first responders to safely do their jobs, and it allowed residents to safely survey their damage and recover what items they could from their homes without criminal activity. It has also given first responders a chance to catch their breath and deal with their own losses.”