By Allie Crane
When it comes to Spring Break, there’s only one rule: there are no rules.
Among these non-existent regulations are the fact that, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to fork over an arm and a leg to have a good time. Fun can be affordable.
Breakin’ on a budget isn’t easy, but with a little effort, and a lot of planning, it’s completely realistic to have a great time on Spring Break without breaking the bank.
Here are a few pointers.
1. Look for deals. Many cities have discount saving websites and apps that give you a great vacation for a fraction of the cost. Websites like Groupon.com and Livingsocail.com feature vacation packages that can offer up to 75% off. Whether you’re looking for a spa package or restaurant deals, do a little research on your destination, and you will be surprised how much you can save.
2. Road trip to a different destination. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on plane tickets, grab a group of your friends and take a road trip to a new destination. Gas is not cheap, but driving can be much less expensive than flying. If you are traveling with friends, they can pitch in for gas making the cost even less. Road trips are great way to see many unique places all in one week!
3. Eat in. Whether you are playing tourist or relaxing on the beach, save some green by going to the grocery store. These days dining out can be one of the largest expenses of a vacation. Most hotels have mini fridges and microwaves or you can pack a small ice chest for your trip. Stock up on snacks and sandwich makings and you’ll save a bunch on break feast and lunch meals. Then, if you want to treat yourself to some fine dinning you can do it without breaking the bank!
4. Budget. Set aside a trip budget by making a list of all the activities you want to do, including restaurants, tourist attractions and shopping boutiques. Be realistic and allot the right amount of money so you wont have to worry about overspending.
5. Pack Well. Make sure you pack everything you might need on whichever type of vacation you may go on. Make a list of all the things you need and check them off as you pack your luggage. Forgetting a toothbrush or sunscreen at home can cut into your spending money and vacation time.